Chemical resistant tile adhesive for fitting chemical tile (two-part)
Adhesive is designed for indoor and outdoor ultrastrong fixation of single-piece acid resistant articles from different types of ceramic (including acid resistant sandstone tile, acid resistant brick), porcelain stoneware, glass mosaic on cement screeds, concrete and metal in residential and non-residential premises.
Application is also possible in food industry premises (without direct contact with food).
This material is designed for intended use and is applied strictly according to given recommendations.
- High mechanical strength and increased adhesion to different substrate types, single-piece articles from different types of ceramic (including acid resistant), porcelain stoneware, mosaic, natural stone, fused basalt and steel;
- Fast strength development at early hardening stages allows faster facility commission and extremely urgent for operating productions;
- Odourless while preparation and application;
- Water and frost resistance;
- Allows to make waterproofing layer beneath the tile;
- Minimal shrinkage (dry residue after resin polymerization is 99 %) and lack of shrinkage cracking;
- High adhesive composition plasticity after components mixture;
- Has high resistance to the exposure of the majority of chemical agents in various concentrations with pH level from 3,6 up to 14: mineral acids in low and average concentrations (30-50 %), organic acids in low concentrations (up to 15 %), alkalis solutions (up to 50 %), water, oils, fats, oil products, and some types of solvents (see chemical resistance list);
- Application in food industry premises is possible (without direct contact with food).
All factors preventing proper adhesion shall be thoroughly removed: dust, moving particles, scales, grease and oil stains. It must have mechanical strength and have sufficient bearing capacity. Residual moisture of concrete substrate on the depth up to 20 mm must not exceed 10 %. This moisture is obtained after 28 days since concrete base/ screed has been laid in naturally wet hardening conditions. In case of concrete surface reinforcement, decrease capillary leak of water and binding free water (if residual moisture is more than 10 %) the usage of epoxy bottoms is recommended. For these purposes epoxy water emulsion based bottom Primer EP 01 (can be applied to dry and wet substrates) will be suitable. If technological break between bottom application and further adhesive layer application lasts more than 12-24 hours (depending on the temperature), it is essential to sprinkle calcined quartz sand fr. 0,3-,07 mm on the substrate immediately after priming and spread it evenly over the surface. After bottom hardening extra amounts of quartz sand are swept with brush.
Tile adhesive preparation is done by thoroughly components mixing on the worksite. For doing this, it is essential to open the bucket with ingredients B (low-viscosity liquid) and pour it into the bucket with ingredients A (thick paste). These ingredients can be mixed directly into the bucket with a mechanical mixer or low-speed (300-400 rpm) electric drill equipped with a special mixing head. Mixing shall be done for not less than 2 minutes to form a homogeneous mixture without stripes and lumps. Special attention shall be paid to mixing the composition near the walls and bottom of the bucket. Manual mixing of adhesive components is not recommended. When mixing paste with hardener it is essential to strictly keep proportions of the components written in product passport and in the manual.
Upward and downward variations from stated proportions lead to the loss of hardened composition technical properties!
Tile adhesive Himflex-2KX consumption depends on applied type of lining products and according to reference data with recommended layer thickness of 2…3 mm is approximately 5…6 kg/1 m² tile (excluding decorative framing) and it can also be strictly calculated using the following formula:
Vtile joints – tile adhesive volume in tile joints between lining products
m³Vlayer – volume of the layer beneath the tile
m³1650 – specific weight, kg/m³
msc – specific consumption for 1 m²
msc = 1650 × (V layer +V tile joints), kg
Ready to use tile adhesive is applied to the prepared laying area (primed if needed) with a serrated spatula. This area shall be faced with tiles for 20-30 minutes. Thickness of the layer beneath the tile is chosen depending on the standard size of the tile. For acid resistant tile with big dimensions (with thickness from 20 mm) and in places undergoing severe intensive mechanical loads layer thickness shall be not less than 3 mm and tile joints filling depth can not be less than 1/3 of tile thickness. Tile shall be laid on adhesion layer and pressed, providing necessary contact with tiled surface. If tile adhesive gets on the face of the tile it should be immediately removed with a damp sponge. In case of cleaning delay (after 40 minutes) stripes and stains can be cleaned with 10 % solution of spirit or solvents: acetone, toluene. If composition has already hardened (after 3-4 hours) tile surface cleaning can be extremely difficult and could only be done by mechanical means. Composition operation time depends on air temperature in the premises where works are carried out. It is important to take into consideration that floor surface temperature could be different from the temperature in the premise. Recommended tile adhesive application temperature is in the range from +18º С up to + 23º С. In this conditions tile adhesive has optimal viscosity and resin reaction capacity. Tile adhesive mixture viability in these conditions will be 40 minutes. After 40 minutes tile adhesive composition rapidly becomes thick and useless for further application.
TILE FITTING APPLICATION
Decorative framing of joints application
Tile adhesive is applied with special spatula made from hard rubber or flexible metal spatula. Composition operation time depends on ambient air temperature. It is important to take into consideration that the temperature of facing materials and surfaces could be extremely different from the temperature in the premise. Recommended composition application temperature is in the range from +12º С up to + 25º С. At the temperature of 20º ± 2º С composition operation time is approximately 40 minutes. At this temperature surface can be used in just 24 hours. In case of lower temperatures the possibility of surface use for pedestrian load can be delayed up to 72 hours.
For complex surfaces (with porous structure and roughness) it is recommended to cover tile surface along the joint contour with masking tape or any other identical material (e.g. paper tape) or to treat tile along the joint contour with wax or paraffin before tile adhesive application.
SURFACE USE (at the temperature from +18° up to + 25º С)
- Surface is ready to use for full mechanical and chemical load in 7 days;
- Surface is ready to use for pedestrian load in these hardening conditions in 24 hours;
- In case of lower temperatures the possibility of surface use can be delayed up to 3 days for pedestrian load and 14 days for chemical and full mechanical loads.
- Not recommended for construction joints filling;
- Clean tile surface before the composition hardened (see Application unit);
- Do not expose tile adhesive Himflex-2KX to chemical load earlier than in 1- 2 weeks after application (depending on air temperature in the premises where works were carried out).
- Tile adhesive composition contains epoxy resin that has moderate irritant effect on skin and mucous membranes so use protective gloves and glasses when operating with this composition;
- If skin contact occurs, the area should be immediately and thoroughly washed with water;
- If exposed to eyes, eyes should be immediately and thoroughly flushed with water and seek medical attention immediatelyу;
- Premise where tile adhesive is being applied must have local air exhaust ventilation with an air exchange rate not less than 3.
TRANSPORTATION AND STORAGE
- Modified epoxy resin included in ingredients A is not affected by crystallization that allows storage and transportation even at below-zero temperatures;
- Tile adhesive components (Ingredients A and B) shall be stored in sealed containers in covered storage rooms (in unheated is also possible);
- In case of tile adhesive transportation and storage at the temperature lower than 0º С, unpacking of containers shall be made not earlier than in 24 hours after their conditioning at the temperature 25º ± 5º С.