Himflex EPU 605
Elastic waterproofing chemical resistant epoxyurethane membrane
Epoxyurethane waterproofing membrane Himflex EPU 605 is used for making elastic waterproof anticorrosive and chemical resistant concrete surfaces with high mechanical strength and enhanced resistance to water, acid and alkali solutions, oil products and oils. It is used for concrete bases protection from aggressive chemicals with pH from 3,6 up to 14 and severe mechanical loads with maximum temperature up to + 70º С. Epoxyurethane membrane can also be used as a waterproofing and chemical resistant carpet underlay before fitting ceramic acid resistant tiles in workshops of industrial, food and chemical productions.
Membrane properties after hardening:
- Free of solvents, with low emission of volatile compounds;
- Elastic structure prevents fracturing and keeps elasticity in the temperature range from - 30º up to + 70º С;
- Increased resistance to water, acid and alkali solutions, oil products and some types of solvents (see chemical resistance reference information);
- After special surface preparation membrane can be applied in chemical resistant floor tiling systems by Himflex as a waterproofing chemical resistant layer and as a replacement for polyisobutylene plates (as a waterproofing layer in chemical resistant epoxy tile adhesive compositions Himflex KX, Himflex 2KX, Himflex 3KX with a shrinking of quartz sand (if required)).
SUBSTRATE PREPARATION FOR MEMBRANE APPLICATION
1. Concrete floor, cement-sand screed:
- Compression strength of the substrate must not be less than 20 MPa or concrete slab brand not less than M200;
- Tensile strength of the concrete – not less than 1,5 MPa;
- Concrete substrate shall be conditioned for 28 days, cement-sand and polymer-cement screeds shall be conditioned to development of strength and drying to residual moisture of not more than 10 %;
- It is essential to remove all the factors preventing adhesion: loose concrete particles, oil stains, laitance;
- If surface has leaching of magnesium chlorides and alkali they shall be removed by any appropriate way (mechanically, with water or hot steam);
- Cracks and joints shall be сleaned by means of industrial vacuum cleaner and primed with polymeric compositions and sprinkled with quartz sand;
- Extra sand is removed in 24 hours;
- After clean-up operations concrete surface shall be treated with industrial vacuum cleaner or reactive high-pressure jet cleaner with its subsequent drying;
- Residual moisture of concrete substrate must not exceed 10 %.
2. Ceramic tiles coatings require the following specifications::
- Old tiled floor shall be repaired, thoroughly washed and degreased with organic solvent;
- Tile surface shall be covered with bottom Primer EP 01 in one or two layers depending on the evenness of the floor and tile joints absorbing capacity;
- Tile shall be firmly glued to the foundation;
- Loosely attached tiles shall be removed and their mounting seats puttied and primed with Primer EP 01;
- No oils, fats and other pollutants decreasing adhesion are acceptable;
- In case of hard-to-remove dirt on the surface make an experimental application.
Evenness deviation of the concrete substrate cannot exceed 4 mm if checking with two metre rail. The thicker is the membrane layer, the more even concrete substrate surface shall be. For porous substrates or if residual moisture of the concrete substrate exceeds 10 % it is essential to reinforce it with bottom Primer EP 01. We recommend only this type of bottom because this bottom additionally contains functional groups that increase inter-coat adhesion. Priming if necessary is done in two layers with intermediate drying. When applying the second layer quartz sand is sprinkled on unhardened surface to make it rough. Bottom consumption depends on substrate porosity and is usually 0,15-0,2 кg/м² in a single layer. Priming can be applied by roller, brush, spraying. When priming is applied to cement screed or if concrete brand strength is less than M150, it is essential to check substrate absorbency on a small part. Before floor covering application make sure all necessary materials and tools are at hand.
Membrane preparation is done in place where prepared concrete substrate is located. Strain component (A) contents into the bucket with component (B). Then using low-speed (300-400 rpm) electric drill equipped with a special mixing head mix the substance by mechanized way for 2 minutes trying to avoid air bubbles and undermixings. Special attention shall be paid to mixing the composition near the walls and bottom of the bucket.
Ready to use composition is applied to the substrate and evenly spread with a serrated spatula, having a gap that provides necessary coating thickness or with ridged (needle) roller. Coating thickness must not exceed 1..2 mm for medium load. If demanding coating thickness is more than 2 mm, it is possible to apply several layers with pre-drying of the previous layer. It is recommended to use squeegee with long shaft that allows to perform installation in standing position. In places with light load if substrate evenness allows it, it is possible to install with layer thickness of 0,5-1 mm. In this case composition is made even with serrated spatula with small serration. Epoxyurethane membrane consumption - 2,2 кg/м² for layer thicknesses of 2mm. Work is done from the window to the door. If it is needed to return on recently installed covering for defects eliminating or removing some extra particles, special spike boots are required. Immediately after application surface shall be sprinkled with dry and clean construction sand fr. 0,3-,07 mm with approximate consumption of 1 кg/м². After membrane hardening extra sand is thoroughly removed with industrial vacuum cleaner. Other coverings shall be installed after full membrane hardening (in 2-3 days depending on the temperature in the working area). In 5 days after the installation coating has technological strength. Pedestrian load is possible in 2 days after coating application, wheel load – in 10 days.
- Epoxyurethane membrane Himflex EPU 605 components do not contain solvent;
- All operations shall be performed in work clothes for chemical industries (cotton overalls, boots, protective glasses, gloves);
- When operating with composition the usage of special protective equipment is required;
- On open body parts contact – wipe it out with a swab moistened in gasoline or ethyl alcohol and wash in water with soap;
- Fire-fighting agents: carbon-dioxide extinguisher, inert gas, sand, asbestos cloth;
- When operating with liquid composition and next to its storage area it is forbidden to use open flame or work with tools making sparks on impact;
- Electrical equipment and lightning shall be made explosion proof.
TRANSPORTATION AND STORAGE
- Epoxyurethane membrane EPU 605 components (Ingredients А и Б) shall be stored in sealed containers in covered storage rooms;
- In case of composition transportation and storage at the temperature lower than -10º С, unpacking of containers shall be made not earlier than in 24 hours after their conditioning at the temperature of 25,5º С;
- Components are stored in sealed containers at the temperature not lower than -20°С and not higher than +30° С.