Acid resistant epoxy tile adhesive with improved performance characteristics (two-part)
Adhesive is designed for indoor, outdoor ultrastrong fixation of acid resistant tiles or bricks on vertical, horizontal surfaces, for facing the surfaces of the building structures. It can also be used for lining of technological equipment.
Application in food industry premises is also possible (without direct contact with food).
- Improved formula. Indicators of physical, chemical and chemical resistance are 30-35% higher than standard epoxy tile adhesives Himflex2KX and Himflex KX have;
- Ultra-high mechanical strength (compressive strength 78 MPa, tensile strength 39 MPa), impact resistance and adhesion (> 4,2 MPa pulling test for concrete) to different types of substrate, single-piece articles made from different types of ceramic (including chemical resistant and fireclay tile), porcelain stoneware, mosaic, natural stone, fused basalt and steel;
- High resistance to abrasive wear (shore hardness D - 82 s.u.);
- Water and frost resistance (water absorption of specimen – 0,3;
- Allows to make waterproofing layer beneath the tile;
- Minimal shrinkage (dry residue after resin polymerization is 98 %) and lack of shrinkage cracking;
- High adhesive composition plasticity after components mixture;
- Increased chemical resistance to the exposure of the majority of mineral or organic acids in low and average, alkali, water (including hot water or water vapor), oil products, solvents (excluding acetone);
- Has increased temperature resistance with tile surface at the temperature up to + 120º С.
Substrate shall be thoroughly cleaned from, moving particles, dirt, dust, fat and oil stains, scales, rust, paint etc. It must have mechanical strength and have sufficient bearing capacity. Minor irregularities less than 2 mm are made even with adhesive. Substrate surface must be dry. Residual moisture of concrete foundation on the depth of 20 mm must not exceed 10 %. If residual moisture exceeds 10 % free water on tiled surface should be bound with primer. Priming is also necessary when fitting tile on cement/concrete substrate screeds at early hardening stages. For these purposes epoxy water emulsion based bottom Primer EP 01 (can be applied to dry and wet substrates) will be suitable.
Welds shall be released from welding slag (flux) and layers of scale. Remove notches, burrs, welding spatters by grinding, round sharp edges, corners, notches, welding seams. Grease, marking paint or other substances shall be removed from the surface. If needed, before performing blasting, to remove organic contaminants a solvent can be used (white spirit in accordance to GOST 3134). Degreasing shall be made to level 1 (GOST 9.402). Metal surface of protected constructions must be cleaned to the degree of purification Sa 2,5 (ISO 8501-1) or to level 2 (GOST 9.402).
Tile adhesive preparation is done by thoroughly components mixing on worksite. For doing this it is essential to open the bucket with catalyst (ingredients B, low-viscosity liquid) and pour it into the bucket with ingredients A (thick paste). Ingredients can be mixed directly into the bucket with a mechanical mixer or low-speed (300-400 rpm) electric drill equipped with a special mixing head. Mixing shall be done for not less than 2 minutes to form a homogeneous mixture without stripes and lumps. Special attention shall be paid to mixing the composition near the walls and bottom of the bucket. Manual mixing of adhesive components is not recommended. Freshly-prepared tile adhesive composition must have elastic, homogeneous, pasty consistence, resistant to subsidence. When mixing paste (Ingredients A) with catalyst (Ingredients B) it is essential to strictly keep proportions of the components written in product passport and in the manual.
Upward and downward variations from stated proportions lead to the loss of hardened composition technical properties!
TILE ADHESIVE APPLICATION
Ready to use composition is applied to the prepared laying area with a serrated spatula. This area shall be faced with tiles for 20-30 minutes. Thickness of layer beneath tile is chosen depending on standard size of the tile. For acid resistant tile with big dimensions (with thickness from 20 mm) and in places undergoing severe intensive mechanical loads layer thickness shall be not less than 3 mm and tile joints filling depth can not be less than 1/3 of tile thickness. Tile shall be laid on adhesion layer and pressed, providing necessary contact with tiled surface. If tile adhesive gets on the face of tile it should be immediately removed with a damp sponge. In case of cleaning delay (after 40 minutes) stripes or stains can be cleaned with 10 % solution of spirit or solvents: acetone, toluene. If composition has already hardened (after 3-4 hours) tile surface cleaning can be extremely difficult and could only be done by mechanical means. Tile adhesive operation time depends on air temperature in the premises where works are carried out. It is important to take into consideration that floor surface temperature could be different from the temperature in the premise. Recommended tile adhesive application temperature is in the range from +12º С up to + 25º С. In this conditions tile adhesive has optimal viscosity and resin reaction capacity. Tile adhesive mixture viability in these conditions will be 40 minutes. After 40 minutes tile adhesive composition rapidly becomes thick and useless for further application. Surface is ready to use in these hardening conditions in just 7 days. In case of lower temperatures the possibility of surface use can be delayed up to 14 days.
Tile adhesive Himflex-3KX consumption depends on applied type of lining products and according to reference data with recommended layer thickness of 2,5…3 mm is approximately 4,5…5 kg/1 m² tile (excluding decorative framing) it can also be strictly calculated using the following formula:
Vtile joints – tile adhesive volume in tile joints between lining products
Vlayer – volume of the layer beneath the tile, m³
1750 – specific weight, kg/m³
msc – specific consumption for 1 m²
msc = 1750 × (V layer +V tile joints), kg
- Tile adhesive composition contains epoxy resin that has moderate irritant effect on skin, mucous membranes so use protective gloves and glasses when operating with this composition;
- If skin contact occurs, the area should be immediately washed with water;
- If exposed to eyes, eyes should be immediately flushed with water and seek medical attention immediately;
- Premise where tile adhesive is being applied must have local air exhaust ventilation with an air exchange rate not less than 3.
SURFACE USE (at the temperature from +18° up to + 25º С)
- Surface is ready to use for pedestrian load in these hardening conditions in 24 hours;
- Surface is ready to use for full mechanical and chemical load in 7 days;
- In case of lower temperatures the possibility of surface use can be delayed up to 3 days for pedestrian load and 14 days for chemical and full mechanical loads.
TRANSPORTATION AND STORAGE
- Modified epoxy resin included in Ingredients A is slightly affected by crystallization that allows storage and transportation even at below-zero temperatures;
- Tile adhesive components (Ingredients A and B) shall be stored in sealed containers in covered storage rooms (in unheated is also possible);
- In case of tile adhesive transportation and storage at the temperature lower than 0º С, unpacking of containers shall be made not earlier than in 24 hours after their conditioning at the temperature 25º ± 5º .
Tools can be cleaned with acetone according to safety regulations on this category of substances.